Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Genocide Walk for Two

I woke up this morning with a relatively rare feeling of wanting to help my fellow man. I know this makes me sound horrible, but I always want to help, I just don't usually get around to doing it. Luckily this morning was different; I really felt inspired. So, I went to the local bagel shop and checked out some of the community service offers. This outburst of generosity might have been spurred on by the fact that I can’t pass my grade if I don’t do 10 hours of service, but I like to tell myself that it is because very, very deep down, I am a good person. I also decided to drag my brother into doing it too, just because picking up dirty napkins on the beach is a lot more fun with someone else around. My brother is a very fun person to hang around, and he is always genuinely trying to help; he just doesn’t quite get it right sometimes. While I turned my back on him in the bagel store to investigate a potential tree-planting opportunity, my brother saw one of those big stands advertising a walk to end genocide. Attached to the stand is a roll of pamphlets, and you are supposed to take one. My brother didn’t exactly understand the only taking ONE part, so he decided to grab the whole stand. I didn’t realize this until we got home, and by then it was too late to return it. So when we show up for the walk, we’ll know why we are the only ones there! If nothing else good came out of this, it did provide a good half an hour of laughing on the ground hysterically as my brother stood there with a confused look on his face. So we went in there hoping to provide our services and help, and left possibly endangering the success of a genocide walk. Great. See, this is why I don’t volunteer a lot! If you ever find yourself in a bagel shop, looking to volunteer, just remember to only take ONE informational card and not the whole stand!
-Scatterbrain Sam

*Photo taken from Jewish World Watch- 

1 comment:

Colleen Cuisine said...

This is totally one of my favorite Elan moments... we have to save that Genocide stand for his Bar Mitzvah :)