Saturday, April 9, 2011

I Scored a 33% on my New Years Resolution

As I was attempting to “clean” my room, I chanced upon a certain list from a certain recent new year that I certainly hid on purpose in the darkest corner of my room so that I would never find it again. Well, I found it again and sure am regretting it. A well-known tradition of the new year is making a resolution of all the things you are going to pretend to work on for about a week before giving up. I made a list, looked at it once just to say I did, and then hid it so I could happily forget it and move on with my life. Now I have to live with the truth that it has been three months since the New Year and I haven’t improved at all.  For example, one thing on my list was to do more community service. As shown with my previous post, in that regard all I have managed to do is hurt the success of a genocide walk (the whole stand is still on my desk, with an ignored post-it note telling me to return it). Another thing on my list was to meditate more. That didn’t work either. The one thing I did do on my list successfully was to hide the list and forget about it for awhile. 1 out of 3! Not too bad..... Still, I hate that list. I feel like it is taunting me, calling me a loser and lowering my self-esteem for not following it. So if you unfortunately dig up your own list, don’t beat yourself up too much about it. At the end of the day, no matter how much that piece of paper calls you names, it is still just a piece of paper that you can throw away. In fact, follow my example and do what I did- throw it away.
-Scatterbrain Sam


* picture taken from http://tonyaleigh.com/wp-content
/uploads/2010/12/resolutions-11.jpg,  from the site Psychology  Today


No comments: