Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mid-Teen Crisis

As I watch my 14th birthday rapidly approach, I have been hit with the question, “Where is my life going?”. After seeing therapists and reading some books and then some new therapists and then even starting an ask.com thread, I was hit with the other unfortunate realization that I am going through a mid-life crisis mid-way through my teen years. Uh-oh.

I will be turning 14 and I don’t have a job, my own apartment, a car, I can’t do my own taxes.... Hell, I can’t even do my own laundry. I’m still living with my parents, I don’t go to college, I haven’t found my life partner, I don’t have kids, I don’t even have a credit card! I have suddenly realized how old I am getting, and this morning I even found a gray hair in my brush! And all of this was brought on by that birthday. I mean, what person thought, “Hey, I have an amazing idea! Once a year, lets remind people they are getting older and closer to dying. Then we can push them to have a nervous breakdown! Sounds fun, right?”

Jerk.

Birthdays really make you rethink yourself, and who wants to do that?

Also, when ever you get older, people start getting these weird notions in their heads, like “Now that you are 14, you should be more mature,” or “Sam, 14-year-olds dress themselves”. Where are people getting these ideas from? But at the end of the day, a birthday is really celebrating your existence on this lovely planet called Earth and that is still a joyous occasion to be shared with family and friends. So yes, for any relatives reading this, presents and a lot of sugar are still required and will be expected on my birthday.
-Scatterbrain Sam


* Photo taken from http://www.onlinehappybirthday.com/img
/funny-birthday/crazy-cake.gif 

No comments: